3.30.2008

Spring / Summer.

Being in Canada gives me the opportunity to really embrace both extremes when it comes to clothing. Half the year I'm bundled up, the other half is full of light, airy pieces. This season I've found far more that I really, really like than last year, which is just great; I've no longer got Stelco as a summer job, so I'm not making rediculously good money to afford all the nice stuff. So this calls for a second job, but I've got my birthday to look forward to, right?

Anyways, I figured it would be good to throw some pictures up for my own personal use, so I can better keep track of what I'm aiming for this season.

First up, full fits, mostly for inspiration. The fact that Robert Geller stuff is extremely limited in Toronto doesn't help my chances of grabbing most of this. The detailing on all the pieces is top-notch, though this many layers would be too much in Toronto during the height of summer. I'm a sucker for white pants during the season, so the last look is really working for me, and I like the trench, a piece that's usually iffy for me. Gray denim? APC and Nom De Guerre at Nomad might just work. My indigo New Cures still fit best, so they'll stick around for a while, and since that cut is actually offered in the gray, it'd be an easy decision. Easier on the wallet than some others too.

April 77 doesn't exactly inspire thoughts of the beach either, but their S/S collection is strong. I'm focusing mostly on the jackets for these, and how the interact with the rest of the fit. Both would come in at a far more reasonable price than Geller pieces, and definitely fit the slim look I'd prefer. The jacket's simple and versatile, so I'd be able to pair it with just about anything. Basically, I like most of this season's collection, and I can't wait until the market opens up. Why there are no more stockists in Canada is beyond me.

APC is getting worse and worse each season. The fit of their pieces is getting sloppy (maybe its just bad model choices though), but I liked this one off their site. Mostly for the shorts, and while the jacket is nice, it's not on my list of must-haves for the summer. The right cut, the right length, and a nice, non-white colour for a decent price? Sold. They've got a handful of nice pieces this season, but I'll wait until the sale before I start really looking for them. A cardigan in particular, of which I couldn't find a decent picture. As mentioned before though, they do have some pants and denim in the New Cure cut this season. Black and tan for the dress pants, gray and black for the jeans. Oh, and some white slim chinos, which admittedly do look pretty decent. Cropped with some decent shoes? It could work.

Lastly, this basically nailed it for me. With no mention of their newest collection for what seemed like an eternity, I was worried Corpus' very strong F/W line was a fluke. I've seen a fair amount of the new stuff in person and just love it. Just like last year, there's an awesome leather jacket, and it looks like this one even comes in under the quilted bomber's price. Unfortunately, no pictures of that yet either. I especially like the shirt because it looks nearly identical to a BoO one I was interested in last year that I could never find. This is bound to not hit my wallet so hard, and given the amount of stuff I'm looking at this season, that can only be good. It also looks like it fits similar to BoO, which, other than Raf shirts, fits me better than anything else I've found off the rack. Speaking of which...

While plain AA v-necks are bound to be a staple during the warmer months, I've really wanted to expand my button-up collection into something approaching mature. It's not the most original theme of the season, but anything nautical has my attention. Nobody really does the effortless American cool that Band Of Outsiders does. The light chambray is perfect and feels great. Next, amazingly I don't have a plain white shirt anywhere in my closet. So depending on how the job situation works out, it will be one of these, for now. Both fit great, but the Raf shirt is 50% more than the already pricey BoO shirt. Come on, pay raise...





I try to forget the fact it actually rains here. So with that in mind, a simple, reasonably priced jacket from APC. I'm actually shocked it's not more considering where they've been going lately. Nautical, nautical, nautical.






Lastly, the main thing I'm interested in this season. I finally bought a pair of Common Projects at the beginning of the year after months of trying them on, or searching for the exact pair I wanted, and they are the best casual shoes I've ever owned. And while they have expanded into dress shoes this season, I'm still on the fence. These however, are a sold idea to me. The cap toes are perfect for summer, now I've just gotta find a place that stocks them, as Nomad apparently isn't. I wouldn't mind another pair of the regular model in patent, either black or white, but for now, this is the single spring / summer thing I am looking for most.

There's not really anything else that falls into this post that I haven't either already mentioned, or no picture is available. The only things I can add are some AA basics, and I am still on the search for the perfect, lightweight gray blazer. Oh, and a pair of boat shoes in a bright, vibrant hue would be nice too. After all that, I'd finally feel like my wardrobe is complete for all seasons, mostly playing on the safe side, but that's to ensure it doesn't all feel dated the next year. Obviously I'll be updating/adding each year, but it's great to not feel like a kid anymore in that department. I've got things other than jeans, tees, and hoodies, and a beat up pair of Vans.

(Corpus image provided by Dejour. Shirt images provided by South Willard.)

No comments: